Suspect in Yellowstone bison incident arrested at Glacier National Park

Monday, August 6, 2018

Photo courtesy of Yellowstone National Park

Tourists observe a bison in Hayden Valley, Aug. 16, 2017.

A man wanted following an incident earlier this week at Yellowstone National Park when he was allegedly captured on video harassing a bison has been arrested.

Raymond Reinke, age 55, of Pendleton, Oregon was arrested by Glacier National Park rangers in Glacier, a Yellowstone news release said.

“We appreciate the collaboration of our fellow rangers in Glacier and Grand Teton national parks on this arrest,” Yellowstone Superintendent Dan Wenk stated. “Harassing wildlife is illegal in any national park.”

Reinke had been traveling to multiple national parks over the last week, the release said. On July 28, he was first arrested by law enforcement rangers at Grand Teton National Park for a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. He spent the night in the Teton County Jail, and was then released on bond.

Following his release, he traveled to Yellowstone National Park. Rangers at Yellowstone stopped his vehicle for a traffic violation on July 31. Reinke appeared to be intoxicated and argumentative, according to the release. He was cited as a passenger for failure to wear a seat belt. It is believed that after that traffic stop, Reinke encountered the bison.

Yellowstone rangers received several wildlife harassment reports from concerned visitors and found Reinke later that evening, issuing a citation requiring a court appearance. The video of the event surfaced after that citation had been issued.

“On Thursday, August 2, Yellowstone rangers connected Reinke’s extensive history, and seeing the egregious nature of the wildlife violation, the Assistant U.S. Attorney requested his bond be revoked,” the release stated.

The request was granted, and on the night of Aug. 2, a warrant was issued for Reinke’s arrest.

Reinke had told rangers that his plans were to travel to Glacier National Park. On Thursday, Glacier National Park rangers began looking for his vehicle.

Simultaneous with that search, rangers responded to the Many Glacier Hotel because two guests were arguing and creating a disturbance in the hotel dining room, the park said. Rangers identified one of the individuals involved as Reinke.

Glacier rangers transported Reinke to Helena late last night, where they met Yellowstone rangers.

Yellowstone rangers transported Reinke to Mammoth Hot Springs and booked him into the Yellowstone Jail.

He is scheduled for a court appearance today.