Rebels shake off slow start, top Lone Peak in overtime

Ryan Peerboom — Enterprise Staff Writer
Monday, February 3, 2020
Article Image Alt Text

Enterprise photo by Ryan Peerboom

Shields Valley’s Dylan Flatt (20), Wyatt Rooney (14) and Kaden Acosta (12) keep their eyes on the ballhandler as they play defense against Lone Peak on Friday at Lone Peak High School.

The Shields Valley Rebels notched a gutsy overtime win against the Lone Peak Bighorns on Friday night at Lone Peak High School. The Rebels held the Bighorns scoreless in overtime to win 48-45. 

The first quarter was disastrous for the Rebels. Lone Peak started the game on a 15-3 run to take the momentum early. The Rebels were able to get some shots to fall late in the quarter, but the Bighorns led 21-9 at the end of one. 

Two quick scores for Lone Peak to start the second extended their lead to 17 at 26-9. 

Then the Rebels woke up. 

Shields Valley went on a tear on offense, rattling off 14 straight points to steal the momentum and close the gap to just three at halftime, 26-23. The Rebels went 8-for-9 on free throws during the run, with scores from the floor coming from Aidan Jenkins, Cole Flatt and Kaden Acosta. 

Shields Valley head coach Jacob Fisher said the Rebels settling down, helped them play better in the second quarter after Lone Peak caught them off guard. 

“I think it was just like ‘Hey, let’s settle in, let’s play our game,’” Fisher said. “I think the boys came out right away (in the second) and Lone Peak was completely different from the first time we played them.”

Jenkins shared similar thoughts to Fisher about the Rebels taking control of the game. 

“We had to settle down, just run our offense and play good defense. No fouls,” Jenkins said. “Had to play our ball and not their ball. 

The Rebels kept pushing in the third. A 3-pointer from Flatt tied the game at 28 with 6:04 left in the quarter. Another 3 from Flatt at 4:28 left gave the Rebels their first lead of the game. The Rebels entered the fourth quarter with a 36-34 lead. 

After the Rebels extended their lead to four, Lone Peak found their groove for the first time since the first quarter. The Bighorns scored nine straight points to take a 45-40 lead with two minutes remaining. Another big 3-pointer from Flatt cut the lead to two, and the Rebels found themselves with the ball back on their side of the floor with 14 seconds left. After inbounding, Dylan Flatt was fouled while shooting with 10 seconds on the clock. Dylan Flatt made the first to close the gap to one, 45-44, but missed the second and Lone Peak grabbed the rebounding before getting fouled with 4.7 seconds left. 

Lone Peak missed the first end of the 1-and-1 and Jenkins grabbed the board and called a timeout with 4.2 left. Dylan Flatt threw it back to the fall on the inbound – he’s a quarterback on the Rebels’ football team – and threw the ball the length of the floor where his brother Cole caught it in the paint and was fouled with 3.2 seconds left. Cole missed the first free throw, but made the second to send the game to overtime tied at 45. 

A Jenkins hook shot was the only make from the floor in overtime, but it proved to be enough as the Rebels defense clamped down and hung on for the win, 48-45. 

Dylan Flatt scored 17 for the Rebels while Cole Flatt tallied 14. Kaden Acosta scored nine and Jenkins added eight. 

After the slow start, Cole Flatt said the Rebels needed to remain aggressive, but limit mistakes.

“We were throwing a lot of turnovers so we had to keep that intensity up and slow the ball down,” he said. 

Fisher said the team’s experience in close games helped them pull out the win.

“We lost a couple of these, we just settled in, played our game, one possession at a time, and it kind of worked out in the end,” he said.


Up next

The Rebels play Townsend at 7 p.m. on Friday night at Shields Valley High School.