Homicide suspect makes initial appearance

John Carroll - Enterprise Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 20, 2022
Article Image Alt Text

Enterprise photo by John Carroll

Kadin Hawkeye Lewis makes his initial appearance via video Tuesday morning in Park County Justice Court.

A 20-year-old Pray man made an initial appearance in Park County Justice Court on Tuesday on a felony charge of deliberate homicide in connection with the death of another local man, Casey Jess Anderson, 32.

Kadin Hawkeye Lewis made his appearance via video from the Park County Detention Center before Park County Justice Court Judge Linda Cantin, who set bond at $1 million.

An attorney for Lewis was not present in court.

After reading the law and the punishment for felony deliberate homicide, Cantin asked Lewis: “Do you have any questions?”

“I’m just a little shaken right now and need a lawyer,” said Lewis.

Anderson allegedly died from gunshot wounds, according to the arrest report from the Park County Sheriff’s Office.

The incident allegedly occurred in the 1300 block of East River Road in Paradise Valley, according to Park County Attorney Kendra Lassiter.

Lassiter said she recommended the $1 million bond to Judge Cantin because of the “severity” of the crime and for “public safety” reasons.

On Monday around 8:30 a.m., Anderson was found deceased in “an old camper,” said Park County Sheriff Brad Bichler.

During the investigation of the crime scene, law enforcement received information from potential witnesses that Lewis had allegedly committed the homicide, according to the arrest report.

A countywide search for the suspect began shortly thereafter, and at 2:32 p.m. the Livingston Public Schools went into “administrative lockdown” at the recommendation of law enforcement, according to Superintendent Lynne Scalia, due to a “potential threat” in the community.

At approximately 3 p.m., Lewis turned himself into authorities, according to Bichler.

“He was taken into custody without any incident,” the sheriff said.

At 3:14 p.m., law enforcement informed the school system that the threat had been contained and the schools could lift the lockdown, according to Scalia.

“Information came up during the investigation that some of our schools could have been in danger,” said Bichler. “Out of an overabundance of caution, we felt like we needed to lock down our schools until we got our suspect into custody. We didn’t mean to alarm anyone but wanted to keep everyone as safe as possible until we could bring the incident to a close.”

Back in court on Tuesday, Judge Cantin informed Lewis he could fill out an application for a court-appointed attorney, and that he was to avoid any contact with any witnesses, including his mother, Rachel Ann Marker.

Cantin then set the preliminary hearing for Lewis’ case for Tuesday, Oct. 11.

Special Sections